|Cast • Birthdays • Episodes • Events • Galleries • Guides • Polls • Pyramid • Songs • Spoilers • Studios • External Links • Aid Wiki|
Instagram • (more)
|Born:||September 30, 2002|
|8th in 2016/17 school year|
|Affiliations:||Abby Lee Dance Company|
|Height:||5' 3" (April 2016)|
|Est. Adult Ht:||5' 5"|
|Friends and Family|
|Parents:|| Melissa Gisoni|
Greg Gisoni (step-dad)
|Siblings:|| Mackenzie Ziegler (younger sister)|
|Friends:|| Kendall Vertes|
Asia Monet Ray
|Love Interests:||Zac Efron (celebrity crush)|
|Pets:|| Molly (dog, deceased)|
Peanut (cat, rehomed)
|Nicknames|| Bubby (by the Ziegler family)|
Maddog (by the Ziegler family and friends)
Missie (by her school)
Bro (by Kendall)
|Debut:||The Competition Begins|
|Last:||The Final Curtain|
|Search YouTube for Maddie Ziegler|
|Browse Maddie Solos|
Madison "Maddie" Nicole Ziegler (born September 30, 2002) is a dancer at the Abby Lee Dance Company. She is the daughter of Kurt and Melissa Ziegler, and the older sister of Mackenzie Ziegler. At competitions, she usually performs lyrical and contemporary pieces.
Maddie filmed her final regular Dance Moms episode in February 2016. She will serve as a judge in the thirteenth season of So You Think You Can Dance, with a desire to focus on acting in the future.
Outside Dance MomsEdit
- Maddie performed for the television program Live to Dance in 2010; but the program was canceled before her performance(s) aired. A video showing an excited reaction can be viewed here, with Maddie wearing the same costume she used elsewhere for "Sunshine & Lollipops."
- Maddie performed in Alexx Calise's music video for "Cry" (watch video.) Gianna co-choreographed the dance, and took Maddie to the filming during Melissa's absence.
- Maddie appeared in the role of Young Deb in a fourth-season broadcast of Drop Dead Diva.
- She performed in the second season finale of Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition.
- She was cast in the music video for the song "Chandelier" by the artist Sia. Sia, a fan of reality television, has said her "dream was to hire her." Sia also tweeted that she had contacted Maddie and her agent directly via Twitter, saying Maddie stood out for her; and denying claims that Abby had been involved in Maddie's selection for the part. (Twitter message asking Maddie and trying to contact Melissa on 4 Mar 2014.) The music video was filmed in April, 2014, and released May 6th. (Watch Video.) Sia was extremely complimentary towards Maddie ("the most talented and professional individual I've ever worked with!"), and that "people were crying on set because Maddie is so other-worldly." Sia also indicated that she enjoyed Mackenzie as a pop music artist. In less than 100 days after its release, the YouTube vevo video for "Chandelier" had thus far received 100 million views. Within 335 days after release, the music video had over 645 million views, and was listed as the 20th most viewed YouTube video of all time. The video currently has over a billion views. 
- MTV reviewed the Sia/Maddie music video, saying it was "creepy cool"; that the "tiny dancer... channels some wild lunatic spirit"; and it is "the weirdest/best dance video since Robyn’s  “Call Your Girlfriend.”" Later, the MTV Video Awards nominated the video (along with four others) for 2014 "Video Of The Year."
- A review by Billboard called it "a dazzling dance performance."
- Time magazine wrote that it may be the best dance routine of the year, and that it is "the choreography that steals the show."
- Slate referred to it as "Maybe the best dance video of the Year."
- VH1 wrote that they had been pushing the song as an early contender for Song of the Summer, and with the release of the full video, "we’re even that much more in love."
- USA Today called the video "just plain incredible," with Maddie dancing "with amazing grace and abandon for just under 4 minutes. Words won’t do this justice, just watch."
- The video also exists in an extended edit version.
- With input from Sia, Ryan Heffington served as choreographer for the video, the video itself winning "Best Choreography" at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards.
- In May 2015, "Chandelier" was ranked the 17th most viewed YouTube video of all time.
- Following "Chandelier," Maddie made two more music videos for Sia, "Elastic Heart" and "Big Girls Cry".
- Due to work with Sia, Maddie performed live on shows such as Ellen, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Dancing with the Stars, Saturday Night Live and the 2015 Grammy Awards.
- Maddie, along with several other members of the Dance Moms cast, appeared and starred in Todrick Hall's video "Freaks Like Me" as the Red Queen and Cinderella. It was released on July 3rd, 2014. The music video can be seen in full here.
- On October 24 2014, Maddie performed with Sia at the We Can Survive concert at the Hollywood Bowl ("Chandelier", "Big Girls Cry", "Elastic Heart", "Diamonds"). Story with photos.
- She guest stared on the Austin and Ally episode "Homework & Hidden Talents".
- She has a role in the movie The Book of Henry, directed by Colin Trevorrow, with Naomi Watts among the starring cast. Production began in October 2015.
- Maddie is a judge in the 13th season of So You Think You Can Dance. The season is subtitled The Next Generation, and features dancers ages 8 to 13. Debut: May 30th, 2016.
- There are plans for her to star in the film Sister, with a script written by Sia.
- During an Irish radio broadcast, Abby supposedly stated that Maddie was recording an upcoming single. There has been no confirmation for a release date.
- In the summer of 2014, Maddie told Channel Nine's Today Show that she trains 40 hours per week, frequently until 8:45 to 9:30 at night.
- Maddie's lucky number is 13. ("M" is the 13th letter in the alphabet, with Mackenzie and Melissa's names also starting with the letter.)
- Besides dance, she loves to do hair and makeup; and if she didn't dance, she would want to do beauty.
- Her favorite styles of dance are contemporary and tap, but she likes all types of dance. (In 2011, her favorite styles were listed as lyrical and tap.)
- In 2015, she said the favorite solo she had done was "Among All of God's Creatures." In 2013, she had said her favorite solo was "Uphill Battle", due to it being challenging.
- Her favorite group dance is "The Waiting Room". (Aug 2015)
- Maddie says her own favorite dance move is a switch sissone, but it hurts her hips.
- Her parents are divorced, supposedly because dance got in the way of their marriage.
- She used to love math, but disliked it by the time she was taking algebra in sixth grade. In 2015, her favorite school subject was listed as English.
- In early 2015 while in Pittsburgh, Maddie said she was usually in the studio beginning at 12:30 PM or 1:00 PM for training or filming; ending around 9:30 PM; with an hour long break between; for six days a week. She also took acting on Thursday mornings. A little later in the year, she was attending her school tutor's house Mondays through Wednesdays between 8:30 am and 12:30pm, and on Thursdays took school between acting and ballet classes.
- Her favorite colors have been given as purple (2015); pink, purple and blue (c. 2013); and neon blue (2011).
- By 2015, the Zieglers employed 24-hour security.
- Melissa says Maddie is a "Type A" personality, and needs to be be prepared by organizing her upcoming wardrobe, and arriving early to events.
- By 2015, her eventual desire was to leave reality television, and become a "real" actress, and with singing, acquire the skills of a triple threat. She has stated, "I don’t want to just be a reality star. I don’t just want to live my life in a stressful mess."
- Her favorite animal is a dolphin. (c. 2013)
- There had been a room in her old house called "The Store" that had all of her and Mackenzie's dance items. In May 2015, the Ziegler-Gisoni family sold their old home in Pittsburgh, moving into a larger custom built house in Pittsburgh, although also expecting to live in Los Angeles half the time.
- Her favorite shows in 2013 were Jessie and Shake It Up. In 2015, she said her favorite show was Pretty Little Liars
- Maddie and Mackenzie have iPhones, and all the girls received iPads for the second season of Dance Moms.
- Melissa said that she made Maddie and Mackenzie pay for their phones (and screen protectors).
- Maddie's celebrity crush is Zac Efron and Cody Simpson.
- She was named Favorite Dancer 17 & Under at the 2014 Dancers Choice Awards (Industry Dance Awards).
- Maddie and her sister share the same social media expert with Abby, who posts information about all of them at the same time on their accounts.
- Despite receiving the scholarship to the Joffrey Ballet Summer Camp Intensive, Melissa stated on Twitter that Maddie was not able to participate.
- According to Mackenzie, Maddie is bossy, but they still have fun together. Mackenzie also says they never get competitive with each other because she wants to be different.
- Maddie dances in her sleep.
- In 2015, her favorite musical artists included Taylor Swift, Sam Smith, Sia, Kendall K. She also listed Swift's song "Shake It Off" as her favorite song at the moment, as it reminded her to shake off the hate she gets on social media. In 2013, Maddie's favorite singer was Justin Bieber, and also loved Selena Gomez.
- Her favorite book was Dolphin Tales (c.2013). In 2015, she gave a newer reading list to Us Weekly.
- Her favorite cities are New York and Los Angeles. (c. 2013)
- According to Maddie, Melissa first began her dancing at a "random ballet school" when she was two years old.
- Maddie has taken dance, voice, and acting lessons at the Abby Lee Dance Company since she was 2.5 years old.
- If she had to pick between dance, acting, and singing, she'd pick "100% dance". (c. 2013)
- She has said that she avoids reading the internet about herself.
- In season four, Maddie has stated she is working on her acting, and has been auditioning for movies.
- She had had braces which she had since the fall of 2012. Her braces were off in the Christmas Special because she got them removed sometime before the filming of the special.
- Through April 6th, 2015, her videos with Sia had over one billion views.
- In April 2015, she had completed 3 videos with Sia.
- Her closest BFF is Kendall Vertes.
- When asked what she does in her free time, Maddie says that when she's not dancing, she's at home - dancing. Sometimes she will play games with Mackenzie, pretending to be dance teachers.
- Her mother used to work at the front desk at the Abby Lee Dance Company to pay off the cost for dance during season one and the first half of season two.
- On her eleventh birthday, Gianna praised her by calling her "the most hard working, talented and loving girl I know!"
- There had been rumors that Maddie wasn't returning for season 5 as she might be on Broadway. Maddie herself gave her expectations for her future when the show will end someday, in an interview with inTouch, published July 29th, 2014: "I’ll still be at the studio every day and I'll still take dance very seriously. And, the girls there are my best friends. I don't really worry about the show ending, because all that stuff will stay the same!"
- Following the Hylands departure from the show in season four, Maddie sadly recalled that Paige was her best friend.
- Her Zodiac sign is Libra.
- She is inspired by Zendaya's fashion choices because she can be girly- yet- tomboyish 
- She and the other girls met Nick Jonas at his Broadway show "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying."
- She shares the same talent agency (William Morris Endeavor) with Pretty Little Liars executive producer Oliver Goldstick. WME asked Goldstick if he could find a spot for her on the show, telling him that Maddie was a big fan of their program. Goldstick eventually co-wrote the episode where Maddie appeared.
- Maddie's net worth was estimated to be $2 million in 2015.
To see tables for Maddie Ziegler's dances and results, visit the Maddie Ziegler/Dances subpage.
Filmography and discographyEdit
|2012||Drop Dead Diva||Young Deb||Guest, Episode "Lady Parts"|
|2014||HitStreak||Maddie (self)||Guest, made-for-mobile sitcom short-episodes series (Watch on YouTube)|
|2015||Austin & Ally||Shelby||Guest, Episode "Homework and Hidden Talents" • (Search YouTube)|
|2015||Pretty Little Liars||Creepy Dancer||Episode aired June 30th, 2015. Choreographed by Travis Wall. Filmed in May 2015. • (Search YouTube)|
|2016||The Book of Henry||Christina Sickleman||Expected. Production began in October 2015.|
|2016||Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn||Eiffel||Guest, Episode "Ballet and the Beasts". Airs on January 16|
|2017||Ballerina||TBD||Voice, animated feature. Expected release in early 2017.|
|Unknown||Sister||Unknown||Expected. A script written by Sia|
|2010||Live to Dance||Episode did not air (Search YouTube)|
|2011||Good Day L.A.||Performed in group dance "This Is My Beauty"|
|2011||The Today Show||Guest, with Abby, Chloe, Mackenzie, Nia, and girls' moms (Search YouTube)|
|2012||The View||Performed in group dance "Born to Dance"|
|2012||Anderson Live||Performed in group dance "Private Eyes"|
|2013||The View||Performed in group dance "The Last Text"|
|2013||Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition||Performer, 2 episodes. Challenge, "Survivor" solo|
|2014||Abby's Studio Rescue||Performer and guest, "Delusions of Dance Grandeur" (with Kendall, Mackenzie, Nia) (Search YouTube)|
|2014||The Ellen DeGeneres Show||Performer, "Chandelier" with Sia, Episode 11–160 (Watch on YouTube)|
|2014||Jimmy Kimmel Live!||Performer, Episode 12–95 (Comedy sketch on YouTube) - (Performing "Chandelier" on YouTube) - (Search YouTube)|
|2014||Dancing with the Stars||Performer, "Chandelier" with Allison Holker as sung by Sia, Episode 19–4 (Watch on YouTube)|
|2014||Today (Australia)||Guest, at least 2 episodes. (Search YouTube)|
|2014||Good Morning America||Guest, 1 episode Article and video. (Search YouTube)|
|2015||Good Day L.A.||Guest (Search YouTube)|
|2015||Today (Australia)||Guest, at least 1 episode. (Search YouTube)|
|2015||Saturday Night Live||Performer, "Elastic Heart" with Kristen Wiig as sung by Sia, Episode 40–11 (Watch on YouTube)|
|2015||The Ellen DeGeneres Show||Performer, "Elastic Heart" with Sia, Episode 12–93 (Watch on YouTube)|
|2015||57th Annual Grammy Awards||Performer, "Elastic Heart" with Kristen Wiig as sung by Sia (Watch on YouTube)|
|2015||Dancing with the Stars||Performer, Episode 20–9. Trio with Brynn Rumfallo and Jaycee Wilkins with song performance by Josh Groban. (Watch on YouTube) Short 20 second solo (Search YouTube)|
|2015||TRTÉ (Swipe TV)||Performer, guest (with Mackenzie, Kendall). (Interview). (Duet with Kendall).|
|2015||The View||Performed in group dance "Together We Stand"|
|2015||The Ellen DeGeneres Show||Performer, "Alive" with Sia, (Watch on YouTube)|
|2016||The Wonderful World of Disney: Disneyland 60||February 21st. Performer with Kelsea Ballerini. Choreography by Travis Wall.|
|2016||So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation||Mentor. 13th season of series; debut on May 30th, 2016.|
|2016||The Voice (U.S.)||Performer, "Cheap Thrills" with Sia, Episode 10–28 (Watch on YouTube)|
|2011||"It's Like Summer"||LUX||Supporting|
|2012||"Cry"||Alexx Calise(WP)||Video co-lead, with Alexx Calise|
|2012||"Summer Love Song"||Brooke Hyland||Supporting|
|2014||"It's a Girl Party"||Mack Z||Supporting|
|2014||"Freaks Like Me"||Todrick Hall (WP)||Video co-lead, with Todrick, Kendall, Mackenzie, Nia and Payton|
|2014||"Chandelier"||Sia (WP)||Video lead. Video nominated at 2014 MTV Video Music Awards for "Video of the Year" and "Best Choreography" (Won "Best Choreography"). Nominated for Best Music Video, 2014 Grammy Awards. Won Best Video, ARIA Music Awards of 2014. In December 2015, was ranked 13th most viewed YouTube video of all time.|
|2015||"Elastic Heart (WP)"||Sia||Video lead, alongside Shia LaBeouf. (Watch on YouTube).|
|2015||"Big Girls Cry (WP)"||Sia||Video lead. (Watch on YouTube).|
|2016||"Cheap Thrills"||Sia||Official video. (Watch on YouTube).|
|2014||"Freaks Like Me"||Todrick Hall||Single||Additional vocals|
|2016||"Ease on Down the Boulevard"||Todrick Hall||Co-lead with Todrick, Kendall, Nia, Mackenzie, JoJo, Kalani and Brynn. Produced for ALDC LA commercial|
Major awards and nominationsEdit
|2013||Industry Dance Awards||Favorite Dancer||Nominated|
|2014||Industry Dance Awards||Favorite Dancer 17 & Under||Won|
|2015||The Dance Awards||Junior Female Best Dancer||3rd runner up|
|2015||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Dancer||Nominated|
|2015||Industry Dance Awards||Favorite Dancer 17 & Under||Nominated|
|2015||TWIST Magazine||Best Dressed Star of 2015||Won|
|2016||42nd People's Choice||Seriously Popular Award||Won|
|2016||Shorty Awards||Best in Dance||Nominated|
To view the gallery for Maddie Ziegler, click here.
- Official website (with excellent photo galleries)
- Twitter page
- Instagram account - now @maddieziegler
- YouTube channel
- Facebook page
- Search Google News for the countless news articles about Maddie
- Maddie's Wikipedia article
- Staree page
- Vine account - unconfirmed
- i-D Magazine - August 2015
- "24 Hours with Maddie Ziegler" Harper's Bazaar, 2015
- Photo interview of Maddie in Dance Spirit magazine, 2013
- Google Images for Maddie Ziegler of Dance Moms
- Search YouTube videos for Maddie Ziegler of Dance Moms
- Tumblr microblogs tagged "Maddie Ziegler"
- maddieziegler.com detailed unofficial site
- Maddie Ziegler at the Internet Movie Database
- Lifetime page for Maddie, Mackenzie and Melissa
|Cast • Birthdays • Episodes • Events • Galleries • Guides • Polls • Pyramid • Songs • Spoilers • Studios • External Links • Aid Wiki|