|Cast • Birthdays • Episodes • Events • Galleries • Guides • Polls • Pyramid • Songs • Spoilers • Studios • External Links • Aid Wiki|
Instagram • (more)
|Born:||September 30, 2002|
|7th in 2015/2016 schoolyear|
|Affiliations:||Abby Lee Dance Company|
|Height:||4' 10" (est. Nov 2014)|
|Est. Adult Ht:||5' 3"|
|Friends and Family|
|Parents:|| Melissa Ziegler|
Greg Gisoni (step-dad)
|Siblings:|| Mackenzie Ziegler (younger sister)|
|Friends:|| Kendall Vertes|
Asia Monet Ray
|Pets:|| Molly (dog)|
|Nicknames|| Bubby (by the Ziegler family)|
Maddog (by the Ziegler family and friends)
Missie (by her school)
Bro (by Kendall)
|Search YouTube for Maddie Ziegler|
|Browse Maddie Solos|
Madison "Maddie" Nicole Ziegler (born September 30, 2002) is a twelve-year-old dancer at the Abby Lee Dance Company. She is the daughter of Kurt and Melissa Ziegler, and the older sister of Mackenzie Ziegler.
She is shown on the show as Abby's favorite. At competitions, she usually performs lyrical and contemporary pieces. In the future, she hopes to become better at acting and singing, and become a "triple threat."
Outside Dance Moms
- Maddie performed for the television program Live to Dance in 2010; but the program was canceled before her performance(s) aired. A video showing an excited reaction can be viewed here, with Maddie wearing the same costume she used elsewhere for "Sunshine & Lollipops."
- Maddie performed in Alexx Calise's music video for "Cry" (watch video.) Gianna co-choreographed the dance, and took Maddie to the filming during Melissa's absence.
- Maddie appeared in the role of Young Deb in a fourth-season broadcast of Drop Dead Diva.
- She performed in the second season finale of Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition.
- She was cast in the music video for the song "Chandelier" by the artist Sia. Sia, a fan of reality television, has said her "dream was to hire her." Sia also tweeted that she had contacted Maddie and her agent directly via Twitter, saying Maddie stood out for her; and denying claims that Abby had been involved in Maddie's selection for the part. (Twitter message asking Maddie and trying to contact Melissa on 4 Mar 2014.) The music video was filmed in April, 2014, and released May 6th. (Watch Video.) Sia was extremely complimentary towards Maddie ("the most talented and professional individual I've ever worked with!"), and that "people were crying on set because Maddie is so other-worldly." Sia also indicated that she enjoyed Mackenzie as a pop music artist. In less than 100 days after its release, the YouTube vevo video for "Chandelier" had thus far received 100 million views. Within 335 days after release, the music video had over 645 million views, and was listed as the 20th most viewed YouTube video of all time.
- MTV reviewed the Sia/Maddie music video, saying it was "creepy cool"; that the "tiny dancer... channels some wild lunatic spirit"; and it is "the weirdest/best dance video since Robyn’s  “Call Your Girlfriend.”" Later, the MTV Video Awards nominated the video (along with four others) for 2014 "Video Of The Year."
- A review by Billboard called it "a dazzling dance performance."
- Time magazine wrote that it may be the best dance routine of the year, and that it is "the choreography that steals the show."
- Slate referred to it as "Maybe the best dance video of the Year."
- VH1 wrote that they had been pushing the song as an early contender for Song of the Summer, and with the release of the full video, "we’re even that much more in love."
- USA Today called the video "just plain incredible," with Maddie dancing "with amazing grace and abandon for just under 4 minutes. Words won’t do this justice, just watch."
- The video also exists in an extended edit version.
- With input from Sia, Ryan Heffington served as choreographer for the video, the video itself winning "Best Choreography" at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards.
- In May 2015, "Chandelier" was ranked the 17th most viewed YouTube video of all time.
- Following "Chandelier," Maddie made two more music videos for Sia, "Elastic Heart" and "Big Girls Cry".
- Due to work with Sia, Maddie performed live on shows such as Ellen, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Dancing with the Stars, Saturday Night Live and the 2015 Grammy Awards.
- Maddie, along with several other members of the Dance Moms cast, appeared and starred in Todrick Hall's video "Freaks Like Me" as the Red Queen and Cinderella. It was released on July 3rd, 2014. The music video can be seen in full here.
- On October 24, Maddie performed with Sia at the We Can Survive concert at the Hollywood Bowl ("Chandelier", "Big Girls Cry", "Elastic Heart", "Diamonds"). Story with photos.
- She guest stared on the Austin and Ally episode "Homework & Hidden Talents".
- In the summer of 2014, Maddie told Channel Nine's Today Show that she trains 40 hours per week, frequently until 8:45 to 9:30 at night.
- Maddie's lucky number is 13. ("M" is the 13th letter in the alphabet, with Mackenzie and Melissa's names also starting with the letter.)
- Besides dance, she loves to do hair and makeup; and if she didn't dance, she would want to do beauty.
- Her favorite styles of dance are contemporary and tap, but she likes all types of dance. (In 2011, her favorite styles were listed as lyrical and tap.)
- In 2015, she said the favorite solo she had done was "Among All of God's Creatures." In 2013, she had said her favorite solo was "Uphill Battle," due to it being challenging.
- Maddie says her own favorite dance move is a switch sissone, but it hurts her hips.
- Her parents are divorced, supposedly because dance got in the way of their marriage.
- She used to love math, but disliked it by the time she was taking algebra in sixth grade. In 2015, her favorite school subject was listed as English.
- In early 2015 while in Pittsburgh, Maddie said she was usually in the studio beginning at 12:30 PM or 1:00 PM for training or filming; ending around 9:30 PM; with an hour long break between; for six days a week. She also took acting on Thursday mornings. A little later in the year, she was attending her school tutor's house Mondays through Wednesdays between 8:30 am and 12:30pm, and on Thursdays took school between acting and ballet classes.
- Her favorite colors have been given as purple (2015); pink, purple and blue (c. 2013); and neon blue (2011).
- By 2015, the Zieglers employed 24-hour security.
- Melissa says Maddie is a "Type A" personality, and needs to be be prepared by organizing her upcoming wardrobe, and arriving early to events.
- By 2015, her eventual desire was to leave reality television, and become a "real" actress, and with singing, acquire the skills of a triple threat. She has stated, "I don’t want to just be a reality star. I don’t just want to live my life in a stressful mess."
- Her favorite animal is a dolphin. (c. 2013)
- There had been a room in her old house called "The Store" that had all of her and Mackenzie's dance items. In May 2015, the Ziegler-Gisoni family sold their old home in Pittsburgh, moving into a larger custom built house in Pittsburgh, although also expecting to live in Los Angeles half the time.
- Her favorite shows in 2013 were Jessie and Shake It Up. In 2015, she said her favorite show was Pretty Little Liars
- Maddie and Mackenzie have iPhones, and all the girls received iPads for the second season of Dance Moms.
- Melissa said that she made Maddie and Mackenzie pay for their phones (and screen protectors).
- Maddie's celebrity crush is Zac Efron and Cody Simpson.
- She was named Favorite Dancer 17 & Under at the 2014 Dancers Choice Awards (Industry Dance Awards).
- Maddie and her sister share the same social media expert with Abby, who posts information about all of them at the same time on their accounts.
- Despite receiving the scholarship to the Joffrey Ballet Summer Camp Intensive, Melissa stated on Twitter that Maddie was not able to participate.
- According to Mackenzie, Maddie is bossy, but they still have fun together. Mackenzie also says they never get competitive with each other because she wants to be different.
- Maddie dances in her sleep.
- In 2015, her favorite musical artists included Taylor Swift and Sam Smith. She also listed Swift's song "Shake It Off" as her favorite song at the moment, as it reminded her to shake off the hate she gets on social media. In 2013, Maddie's favorite singer was Justin Bieber, and also loved Selena Gomez.
- Her favorite book was Dolphin Tales (c.2013). In 2015, she gave a newer reading list to Us Weekly.
- Her favorite cities are New York and Los Angeles. (c. 2013)
- According to Maddie, Melissa first began her dancing at a "random ballet school" when she was two years old.
- Maddie has taken dance, voice, and acting lessons at the Abby Lee Dance Company since she was 2.5 years old.
- If she had to pick between dance, acting, and singing, she'd pick "100% dance". (c. 2013)
- She has said that she avoids reading the internet about herself.
- In season four, Maddie has stated she is working on her acting, and has been auditioning for movies.
- She had had braces which she had since the fall of 2012. Her braces were off in the Christmas Special because she got them removed sometime before the filming of the special.
- Through April 6th, 2015, her videos with Sia had over one billion views.
- In April 2015, she had completed 3 videos with Sia.
- Her closest BFF is Kendall Vertes.
- When asked what she does in her free time, Maddie says that when she's not dancing, she's at home - dancing. Sometimes she will play games with Mackenzie, pretending to be dance teachers.
- Her mother used to work at the front desk at the Abby Lee Dance Company to pay off the cost for dance during season one and the first half of season two.
- On her eleventh birthday, Gianna praised her by calling her "the most hard working, talented and loving girl I know!"
- At the end of season 4.5, Maddie would have done 51 solos in total for the show.
- There had been rumors that Maddie wasn't returning for season 5 as she might be on Broadway. Maddie herself gave her expectations for her future when the show will end someday, in an interview with inTouch, published July 29th, 2014: "I’ll still be at the studio every day and I'll still take dance very seriously. And, the girls there are my best friends. I don't really worry about the show ending, because all that stuff will stay the same!"
- Following the Hylands departure from the show in season four, Maddie sadly recalled that Paige was her best friend.
- Her Zodiac sign is Libra.
- She is inspired by Zendaya's fashion choices because she can be girly- yet- tomboyish 
- She and the other girls met Nick Jonas at his Broadway show "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying."
- She shares the same talent agency (William Morris Endeavor) with Pretty Little Liars executive producer Oliver Goldstick. WME asked Goldstick if he could find a spot for her on the show, telling him that Maddie was a big fan of their program. Goldstick eventually co-wrote the episode where Maddie appeared.
To see tables for Maddie Ziegler's dances and results, visit the Maddie Ziegler/Dances subpage.
Filmography and discography
|2012||Drop Dead Diva||Young Deb||Guest, Episode "Lady Parts"|
|2014||HitStreak||Maddie (self)||Guest, made-for-mobile sitcom short-episodes series (Watch on YouTube)|
|2015||Austin & Ally||Shelby||Guest, Episode "Homework and Hidden Talents" • (Search YouTube)|
|2015||Pretty Little Liars||Creepy Dancer||Episode aired June 30th, 2015. Choreographed by Travis Wall. Filmed in May 2015. • (Search YouTube)|
|2010||Live to Dance||Episode did not air (Search YouTube)|
|2011||Good Day L.A.||Performed in group dance "This Is My Beauty"|
|2011||The Today Show||Guest, with Abby, Chloe, Mackenzie, Nia, and girls' moms (Search YouTube)|
|2012||The View||Performed in group dance "Born to Dance"|
|2012||Anderson Live||Performed in group dance "Private Eyes"|
|2013||The View||Performed in group dance "The Last Text"|
|2013||Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition||Performer, 2 episodes. Challenge, "Survivor" solo|
|2014||Abby's Studio Rescue||Performer and guest, "Delusions of Dance Grandeur" (with Kendall, Mackenzie, Nia) (Search YouTube)|
|2014||The Ellen DeGeneres Show||Performer, "Chandelier" with Sia, Episode 11–160 (Watch on YouTube)|
|2014||Jimmy Kimmel Live!||Performer, Episode 12–95 (Comedy sketch on YouTube) - (Performing "Chandelier" on YouTube) - (Search YouTube)|
|2014||Dancing with the Stars||Performer, "Chandelier" with Allison Holker as sung by Sia, Episode 19–4 (Watch on YouTube)|
|2014||Today (Australia)||Guest, at least 2 episodes. (Search YouTube)|
|2014||Good Morning America||Guest, 1 episode Article and video. (Search YouTube)|
|2015||Good Day L.A.||Guest (Search YouTube)|
|2015||Today (Australia)||Guest, at least 1 episode. (Search YouTube)|
|2015||Saturday Night Live||Performer, "Elastic Heart" with Kristen Wiig as sung by Sia, Episode 40–11 (Watch on YouTube)|
|2015||The Ellen DeGeneres Show||Performer, "Elastic Heart" with Sia, Episode 12–93 (Watch on YouTube)|
|2015||57th Annual Grammy Awards||Performer, "Elastic Heart" with Kristen Wiig as sung by Sia (Watch on YouTube)|
|2015||Dancing with the Stars||Performer, Episode 20–9. Trio with Brynn Rumfallo and Jaycee Wilkins with song performance by Josh Groban. (Watch on YouTube) Short 20 second solo (Search YouTube)|
|2015||TRTÉ (Swipe TV)||Performer, guest (with Mackenzie, Kendall). (Interview). (Duet with Kendall).|
|2011||"It's Like Summer"||LUX||Supporting|
|2012||"Cry"||Alexx Calise(WP)||Video co-lead, with Alexx Calise|
|2012||"Summer Love Song"||Brooke Hyland||Supporting|
|2014||"It's a Girl Party"||Mack Z||Supporting|
|2014||"Freaks Like Me"||Todrick Hall (WP)||Video co-lead, with Todrick, Kendall, Mackenzie, Nia and Payton|
|2014||"Chandelier"||Sia (WP)||Video lead. Video nominated at 2014 MTV Video Music Awards for "Video of the Year" and "Best Choreography" (Won "Best Choreography"). Nominated for Best Music Video, 2014 Grammy Awards. Won Best Video, ARIA Music Awards of 2014. In May 2015, was ranked 17th most viewed YouTube video of all time.|
|2015||"Elastic Heart (WP)"||Sia||Video lead, alongside Shia LaBeouf. (Watch on YouTube).|
|2015||"Big Girls Cry (WP)"||Sia||Video lead. (Watch on YouTube).|
|2014||"Freaks Like Me"||Todrick Hall (WP)||Single||Additional vocals|
Major awards and nominations
|2014||Dancers Choice Awards||Favorite Dancer 17 & Under||Won|
In Dance Moms
- In The Competition Begins, she was the first ever dancer to be at the top of the pyramid and continued this streak for the next two episodes.
- In Wildly Inappropriate, Maddie competes with her first solo on the show, "Cry".
- In Stealing the Show, Maddie gets two solos. Abby says it is because Maddie takes tap lessons outside the group. Christi demands that Melissa pull one of the solos.
- In When Stars Collide, a casting director told her to come to Broadway whenever she is in New York.
- In She's a Fighter, Maddie dedicates her solo, "Angel" to her grandmother.
- In There's Only One Star, the competiton for the lead is between Maddie and Chloe, but Chloe ultimately wins.
- In Everyone's Replaceable, Maddie is given a solo called "Star of the Show". After Chloe is selected for a special program, Maddie becomes annoyed. Abby gives her a pep talk and says that Chloe would never be happy for her, so she should at least pretend to be happy for Chloe. Though most of this pep talk's information isn't true, it boosts Maddie's confidence.
- In Brooke's Turning Point, Maddie wins third place with a jazz solo, "Lights, Camera, Action!", and Chloe beats her.
- In Jill on the Rampage, Maddie falls while performing her solo, "Maestro Man". She is carried off of the stage.
- In Bullets and Ballet, Maddie is found at the bottom of the pyramid, much to her and her mother's surprise.
- In Topless Showgirls, Maddie reclaimed her spot at the top of the pyramid after not being there for six weeks.
- In Waiting for Joffrey, Maddie is in a trio with Brooke and Chloe called "Somebody Told Me". It ends up winning first place.
- In Abbygeddon, the Maddie is presented as becoming frazzled, because she did not win a Joffrey scholarship. She ended up running off stage during her solo "In My Heart" because she said she forgot the solo, but some of the Moms believed it was because Melissa and Abby put too much pressure on her. This causes Maddie to lose confidence in herself.
- The homepage for Reign Dance Productions (reigndanceproductions.com) noted at the time that "Maddie Ziegler & Chloe Lukasiak were awarded Full Tuition Scholarships to the Joffrey/ Mia Michaels 2 week Intensive in Los Angeles." A graphic makes clear that the reference is to the Joffrey Ballet School, which is a distinct organization that is not affiliated with the Joffrey Ballet. Melissa also tweeted that Maddie found out the same time as Chloe, again stating that the scholarship was for Joffrey Ballet School West in Los Angeles, administered by Mia Michaels.
- In The Battle Begins, Maddie refuses to do her solo, "In My Heart" when Abby is pushing it.
- In Night of the Living Dancers, Maddie performs the solo again and even though her music starts to skip, she keeps dancing until the finish. She earns second place and regains her confidence.
- In Maddie Has a Secret, Maddie goes to two competitions and enters her "Cry" solo in one and her new "Looking for a Place Called Home" solo in the other. She wins two titles in a day.
- In How Do You Like Them Apples?, Maddie is found at the top of the pyramid twice.
- In Worst Birthday Party Ever!, Abby has the girls audition for a role on Drop Dead Diva.
- In Guess Who's Back?, it is revealed Maddie was chosen for the part on Drop Dead Diva.
- In Break a Leg, Maddie went to the set to film her scenes for Drop Dead Diva. Maddie played young Deb and performed a dance. She also made a cameo as herself in the video used to testify against Abby.
- In Revenge of the Candy Apples, there is another controversy where the moms accuse Abby of giving too many opportunities to Maddie; in response, Maddie refuses to do her solo which Abby holds against her for most of the remainder of the season.
- In Recital Rebellion, Abby punishes Maddie for refusing to do her previous solo by giving Chloe the lead role in "Trapped"; although Maddie is awarded a junior scholarship at the ALDC.
- Two episodes later in Solo Fever, Maddie visits MSA talent agency with her mom and sister. Abby forces her to give convincing reasons why she should have a solo, but finally relents.
- In Nationals 90210, Maddie finishes second to Chloe, and is shown smiling next to Chloe at awards. (Maddie was initially absent from the taunting directed at Candy Apples, and the incident involving Cathy throwing water, with Christi putting her hands around Cathy's neck, and pushing Cathy to the ground; but Maddie later arrived at the scene, trying to soothe a frightened Justice, and wanting to hug the crying children from the CADC. In a later episode, Christi would accuse Maddie of poor sportsmanship after not winning at Nationals.)
- In The Beginning of the End, Abby says she is giving a solo to Maddie because she had the best attendance since the end of the previous season. When her solo finishes first ahead of Chloe, Abby says that Chloe has allowed Maddie to return to the top by not attending practice over the break.
- In Out With the Old, In With the New, Melissa takes her daughters out of the studio, joining other moms in the parking lot sit-in. Abby gives Sophia Lucia a solo entitled "My New Reality," with the idea of replacing Maddie with Sophia.
- In But I'm a National Champion!, Maddie admits to being jealous of Sophia's turning abilities.
- In Revenge of the Replacements, Abby continues to refuse giving a solo to Maddie, yelling at her for not attending the studio during her mom's sit-in. Abby walks out as Maddie cries and tries to apologize. Maddie is again upset at the competition, when Abby yells that Melissa is putting her friendships and boyfriends ahead of her daughters, and anyone with dreams of being a dancer would not let anything to get in her way.
- Abby eventually gives Maddie a new solo in the season's seventh episode.
- In You've Been Unfriended, Abby gives Maddie a solo entitled "You Don't Know Me," because the public does not really know Maddie.
- In Bye Bye Baby, Abby returns to the studio following the death of her dog Broadway Baby, saying nothing makes her happier than working with Maddie. After Abby shows disgust at changes made by the moms to her ideas for the group number, Melissa decides to turn Maddie's solo into a tribute to Abby's deceased pet, to Abby's pleasure, and the other moms' displeasure.
- In She's a Maniac, Maddie is given a duet with her sister Mackenzie, which Abby names "Run From Mother." For the group dance "Golddigga", Abby tells Maddie to draw inspiration from the idea of her mother hunting down rich men at restaurants.
- In The Politics of Dancing, Melissa considers home-schooling with her daughters, with Maddie saying that dance should really come before school. Abby gives Maddie and Chloe competing solos, telling everyone with the team that they will vote for who they think performed better. After the competition, Maddie receives seven votes, and Chloe receives three.
- In May I Have This Dance?, Abby takes Maddie out of the group dance and makes her assistant choreographer, saying everyone else will have to learn to perform without looking to her cues.
- In Candy Apple Showdown, all the moms decide to violate their ALDC contracts and go ice-skating (excepting Kristie Ray, who says at least Asia isn't getting injured.) Maddie cries when Melissa forces her into skating; Christi echoes previous claims about the watermelon fight, saying Maddie is crying because she has to be the best at everything, and that Maddie isn't an Olympic gold medalist at figure-skating. When Abby finds out, she scolds and punishes everyone on the team (except Asia) for violating the rules.
- In No Room for Rotten Apples, Maddie goes to Los Angeles to dance on Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition. She performs her "Survivor" number.
- In Recital Rebellion, Maddie performed her "Survivor" number which made her the only girl to have two solos at this event. Maddie also performed "Breaking Down Walls."
- “ I just want to be a professional dancer on Broadway. ”
- —Maddie in Sally Miller interview, published April 4, 2013
- “ I know that it’s really hard for the other girls when Abby pays more attention to me. It’s true, they don’t get as much attention. But, I don’t think it’s right for the other moms to talk bad about me or behind my back. It hurts my feelings. And watching them yell at my mom, it makes me sad. Yes, I want to be the favorite and I want to do as many things as I can, but all I do is work hard. ”
- —Maddie, interview with inTouch
- “ I don’t get to relax at all. ”
- —Maddie in interview, when asked, "What do you do to relax?"
To view the gallery for Maddie Ziegler, click here.
- Official website (with excellent photo galleries)
- Twitter page
- Instagram account - now @maddieziegler
- YouTube channel
- Search Google News for the countless news articles about Maddie
- Maddie's Wikipedia article
- Staree page
- Vine account - unconfirmed
- "24 Hours with Maddie Ziegler" Harper's Bazaar, 2015
- Photo interview of Maddie in Dance Spirit magazine, 2013
- Google Images for Maddie Ziegler of Dance Moms
- Search YouTube videos for Maddie Ziegler of Dance Moms
- Tumblr microblogs tagged "Maddie Ziegler"
- maddieziegler.com detailed unofficial site
- Maddie Ziegler at the Internet Movie Database
- Lifetime page for Maddie, Mackenzie and Melissa
|Cast • Birthdays • Episodes • Events • Galleries • Guides • Polls • Pyramid • Songs • Spoilers • Studios • External Links • Aid Wiki|