|Cast • Birthdays • Episodes • Events • Galleries • Guides • Polls • Pyramid • Songs • Spoilers • Studios • External Links • Aid Wiki|
|Stealing the Show|
|Season One, Episode Four|
|Air Date:||August 3, 2011|
|Viewers:||0.852 million, 0.3 rating (18-49)|
When Stars Collide
"Stealing The Show" is the fourth episode of the first season. It first aired on August 3, 2011.
Abby gives each student a solo for the next competition, but gives Maddie two solos. Abby says it is because Maddie takes tap lessons outside the group, but Christi doesn’t buy it and demands that Melissa pull one of Maddie’s solos.
OnStage NY Dance in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania from April 30th-May 1st, 2011.
|Nia||You Do||Cuban Jazz||High Gold|
|Brooke||Break Me||Acrobatic Lyrical||4th in Teen|
|Paige||Double Take||Acrobatic Jazz||did not place|
|Chloe||Mother||Lyrical||4th in Mini|
|Vivi-Anne||Honeybee||Musical Theatre||did not place|
|Mackenzie||Mouse Trap||Acrobatic||High Gold|
Highest Scoring Tap Routine Entire Mini Division
Exceptional Stage Presence
|Cry||Lyrical||1st in Mini|
High Score Advanced Mini Lyrical Solo
Loves to Dance
|Jazz||1st in Mini Group/Overall|
|House of Love|
|Contemporary||4th in Advanced Junior Group|
8th Overall in Junior Division
|Contemporary||2nd in Mini Group/Overall
Mini Critics' Choice Award
|Lyrical||1st in Mini|
Abby reveals they are participating at Onstage New York and everyone is getting a solo. Cathy worries over Vivi's bumblebee solo, which Vivi does not wish to perform. Maddie is doing "Cry" again and a new tap routine, but she hasn't told the other moms. The moms all go out for lunch together, inviting Cathy. They talk about the competition and how Cathy left early. The other moms get upset that Cathy doesn't want to cheer for the other kids.
Mackenzie struggles in rehearsal for her acro routine, forgetting the dance. Mackenzie says she would rather stay home and eat chips. Back at the restaurant, Cathy doesn't want to be a part of the group and isn't in the group to cheer for the others. Christi tells Kelly that Maddie is getting two solos this week, doubling her chances to win. Kelly says that she hasn't gotten her music, which Melissa is in charge of.
While Cathy talks with Melissa at the front desk, Abby drags Vivi-Anne into the studio and puts the bee costume on her. Abby and Cathy then talk about Cathy skipping bus time and leaving early. The moms are at Christi's house to talk about Cathy and Maddie's solos. Christi asks Melissa to pull a solo. Christi said she did it before to let Paige and Nia have a chance to shine.
The next day, Melissa is cutting the music, but Paige's isn't found. Abby is holding an acro class while the moms want the solos to be rehearsed. The moms go down to Melissa who in turn goes to Abby in a fury. Everyone heads to competition. Maddie performs her tap solo first. Mackenzie performs her solo with no problem, but Vivi falls during solo and was early during the steps. Brooke gets a brush burn after doing her chin stand on a piece of tape. Nia forgets some of her solo, but makes up the rest of it, which isn't the same story for Paige, who freezes on stage and runs off.
Maddie still performs her second solo, much to the other moms' dismay. Chloe performs her solo as well, but messes up one of her turns. Maddie wins first and Chloe wins fourth in their division. Christi blows up in the dressing room, getting into a fight with Abby and Melissa in front of the girls, causing Mackenzie and Maddie to cry.
- Maddie, Chloe
- Nia, Paige, Mackenzie, Vivi-Anne
- Although this is the last time we see Maddie perform "Cry" in season one of Dance Moms, she did, however, perform it during the Starpower competition the Abby Lee Dance Company visited in episode six. Maddie would later perform "Cry" in episode seventeen of season two.
- While most of the time during competitions, the faces of other competitors are uncensored, some faces were censored on the DVD.
- When the bus ride scenes begin in the middle of the episode, the time says, 6:05 AM. The competition they went to was at a school called Cornell School District in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania, outside downtown Pittsburgh, which is about a 40-minute drive from the Abby Lee Dance Company. When they arrive at the school, the time says, 7:35 AM. It is unlikely that the girls, moms, and Abby rode on the bus for an hour-and-a-half. The first time should have said 7:05 AM.
- This is the first time a solo was forgotten.
- Abby has stated that Paige had been performing her solo choreography for seven or eight months, and became flustered after missing her back tuck, and that was why she forgot her dance. Abby dismissed the idea that it had to do with the music, adding that, in any event, she didn't handle picking or downloading it.
- Paige's solo costume for "Gemini " had been used before for a solo of hers prior to Dance Moms called "Boys Boys Boys." This was possibly the same choreography, under a different name and with different music (see above trivia.)
- This is the first time that Brooke is at the top of the Pyramid.
- Maddie is wearing her duet costume when she hugs Chloe backstage. A vidcap of them both wearing these matching costumes is taken from Cheerleader Blues.
- Abby addresses another girl by the name of "Kennedy," who is working with the team, and an old Reign Dance Production gives "CONGRATULATIONS TO: KENNEDY, NIA, CHLOE, MADDIE, & PAIGE," between information on "Rag Dolls" and more information on both "007" and "Rag Dolls," as performed at this particular competition. Another girl also can be seen performing with the team for "Rag Dolls" in pictures here and here. Kennedy Trent was credited as performing in a trio with Nia earlier in the year,  as pictured here. She also appeared in "007" as seen in a vidcap from Wildly Inappropriate.
- Maddie's tap solo is introduced by the announcer as "Acapella,". In 2013, Maddie showed to cameras certificates from this event, using "Acapella" as the title of the tap dance. However, ALDC and RDP referred to it as "USO Show" on webpages.
- Nia used the same costume for "Waka Waka" at Dance Educators of America earlier in March. ("Waka Waka" was a song by Shakira used for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.)
- Photos of a different performance of "House of Love" can be viewed here.
- During one of Maddie's interviews (time around 34:06 of 41:24), Chloe is shown in the background in her "Baby Mine" costume. However, the patterned gold floor and the color of walls (also with paneling) is inconsistent with other shots at this episode's school venue, which show a white theme for floors and walling. It does closely resemble many shots from the competition venue lobby seen in Wildly Inappropriate, where Maddie performed "Cry" and Chloe performed "Baby Mine."
- This is the first time a tap routine has been showed on "Dance Moms."
- Vivi-Anne performs her dance that she learned last week, but did not compete.
- Competing studios included Elite Dance by Damian, located north of Pittsburgh. In 2012, Elite Dance by Damian was a top 10 finalist in the Northeast region within the Federation of Dance Competitions. Lexi Troianos finished 5th with her solo, but was named Miss Mini Onstage New York.
- Brooke's solo "Break Me" tied for 4th place.
To view the photo gallery for "Stealing the Show," click here.
To view the video gallery for "Stealing the Show," visit subpage Stealing the Show/Videos.
- Link to Official Results (pdf)
- Archive of Official Results (pdf)
- Unofficial results for ALDC at www.abbyleedancecompany.com
- Different format of unofficial results for ALDC at www.abbyleedancecompany.com
- ↑ http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/08/04/wednesday-cable-ratings-royal-pains-way-up-but-storage-wars-tops-night-necessary-roughness-franklin-bash-rescue-me-hot-in-cleveland-more/99640/
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20110621083744/http://onstagenewyork.com/entry.htm
- ↑ http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-abby-lee-miller-talks-about-dance-moms-some-more-12771.php
- ↑ http://dancesnaps.zenfolio.com/p213793990/h31cb8eca#h31cb8eca
- ↑ http://dancemoms.wikia.com/wiki/File:S01-e04_19-04.jpg
- ↑ http://www.abbyleedancecompany.com/rdp/standing%20ovation%20stats.htm
- ↑ http://niafrazier.com/dancemoms-awards/awards-before-dance-moms
- ↑ http://dancemoms.wikia.com/wiki/File:S01-e04_24-38.jpg
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBNsuGUfkcY#t=0m50s
- ↑ http://www.abbyleedancecompany.com/rdp/standing%20ovation%20stats.htm
- ↑ http://dancesnaps.zenfolio.com/p828738242/h2a23b475#h2a23b475